Looking for an easy, fun, and Instagrammable winter sport destination for the whole family? Look no further! Instagrambloggers were invited by the Family Wellness Hotel Tirolerhof Ehrwald to experience a family winter sport holiday in the cozy Alpine village of Ehrwald in Tirol, Austria.
What we discovered was an underrated gem, crowned with a charming family-owned hotel that makes winter sport holidays luxurious, easy, and fun for families.
5 reasons why Ehrwald should be your next family winter sport destination
- Tirol is pure Instagram magic. Located in the stunning Tirol region, Ehrwald sits at the foot of the Zugspitze, in the Eastern Alps on the border of Austria and Germany. With breathtaking mountain landscapes and magical light, Tirol guarantees Instagram-proof content for days… and family memories for a lifetime.
- Certified kid-proof skiing. The main draw here is the Ehrwalder Wettersteinbahn, a top-rated family-oriented skiing area with a ski school and beginner slopes ideal for toddlers and kids. More adventurous skiers can try the Ehrwalder Alm. Don’t forget to pack your GoPro!
- Peaceful, family-oriented atmosphere. Ehrwald might not be a big name like other trendy wintersport hotspots, but we love that it’s low-profile and family oriented. That means no all-night parties or loud, drunken students. We also saw multi-generational families, with babies to grandparents, all on the same slopes. And that is truly precious.
- More than just skiing, there’s lots to do. Take your pick from night tobogganing (sledding), hiking, glacier walking, enjoying live music and food in ski huts along the pistes, and climbing to the top of Germany’s highest mountain peak, the Zugspitze. By cable car, of course! We’re crazy, but not that crazy.
- Driving from the Netherlands is doable. Ehrwald is around 9 hours from Amsterdam. You can make a pit stop in some of our favorite German cities en route: Dusseldorf and Karlsruhe. We got you covered!
- Just one hour’s drive from Innsbruck airport. Why drive when you can fly?
We visited in winter, but we saw potential for a great summer holiday here too. Play golf, go for a swim in one of the area’s many lakes, or take the kids and grandparents on an easy mountain hike.
Hotel review: Family Wellness Hotel Tirolerhof Ehrwald
We stayed at the Tirolerhof Ehrwald, built by Walter Leitner in the 70s in traditional Tirolean style. Today, his granddaughter Bettina, who pretty much grew up in the hotel, runs it with her husband Luke. Her sister Lisa runs the next-door Tiroler Skischule and Confetti Alms restaurant.
We love local family businesses. The Leitners have been in the game for three generations, and the warmth and experience shows in their service.
5 things we loved most about the Tirolerhof Ehrwald
- Family-friendly ski slopes and a ski school just behind the hotel. We were at the slopes within a few minutes’ walk. That means hassle-free, accessible skiing all day, every day. It doesn’t get more convenient than this!
- Ski rental just a five-minute walk from the hotel and ski slopes. Rental for skis, snowboards and even strollers is quick and convenient at Sport Leitner, meters away from the hotel and slopes. When you’re getting impatient and tired kids to carry ski gear, every meter matters.
- Half-board dining means you don’t have to worry about food. Daily breakfast, drinks until 17:00, and a three-course or buffet dinner are included in room prices. This means parents can actually relax after a day on the slopes, instead of having to hustle up meals for hungry and tired kids. Now that sounds like a holiday to me. Plus, the minis loved the ice cream buffet!
- Spacious family rooms with modern amenities. Walls of fragrant Swiss pine, lots of space so everyone can enjoy “me time”, and waking up to beautiful views of the slopes from our hotel windows. We could get used to this.
- Hot tub, swimming pool, children’s soft play area and game room for chilling. These are places our kids actually wanted to play in even after hours of skiing. This left us free to enjoy actual adult conversations over a glass of Austrian wine in the hotel’s cozy lounge and dining areas. Plus with plenty of kids around, the minis always have guaranteed play buddies. Just the way we like it.
Practical information: all you need to know
Hotel accommodation: Family rooms for 2-4 persons at the Family Hotel Tirolerhof Ehrwald start at €90 per person, per night. At the top of the range are family suites with 2-3 bedrooms for up to 6 persons, starting at €120 per person, per night. Half board dining is included. B&B pricing (without dinner) is available only in the summer.
Self-catering apartments: Tirolerhof Ehrwald also has self-catering apartments spread out over two floors, good for 2-8 persons. Rates start at €120 for two persons, per night.
Ski gear: Rental for a complete ski set (skis + boots + poles + helmet) at Sport-Leitner start at €20 per day, €100 per week for adults. Kids ages 10-15 years rent for €17 per day, €73 per week. Kids under 10 rent free with an adult rental.
Ski school: Lessons at the Tiroler Skischule run daily at 10:00 from Sunday to Friday. Half day or full day, group or private classes are available for both children and adults. Contact Lisa Leitner at firstname.lastname@example.org for prices and booking.
Ski areas: The most accessible piste is the Ehrwalder Wettersteinbahn, a family-friendly ski area with 23km of ski runs at 1000m. Another option is the Ehrwalder Almbahn with 30km of ski runs at 1100-1900 meters. Get a Top Snow Card to access these and all the other pistes in the Tiroler Zugspitze area, including the glacier.
Night tobogganing: Adults pay €24, kids €for unlimited night tobogganing on the Ehrwalder Almbahn, including cable car rides; with a valid ski pass it’s €18. Single ride only is €12. Toboggan/sled rental is €8. Night tobogganing starts from 18:30 to 21:30.
Did we miss something? Hit the comments to let us know. And see you on the slopes next winter!